I'm a graduate student in planetary science. My primary areas of interest are scientific computing, magnetohydrodynamics (MHD) and software engineering. I've studied the Sun by running massively parallel simulations and analyzing the results. I currently study the MHD of Saturn's thermosphere.
I have been programming for many years. I may not be in a position to be able to answer a lot at this time, but I can still contribute by voting up/down and/or modifying others' answers! :-)
Areas of interest are listed below, in descending order of familiarity.
Operating System Experience:
- Mac OS X
- Linux (generic)
- Windows XP and later (limited)
- Supercomputing environments (generic, limited)
- TI OS (TI-84+) :-)
- zOS (IBM mainframes, limited)
Programming Language Experience
- Fortran (90 and later)
- MATLAB / Octave
- BASH scripting
- HTML5, PHP (limited experience)
- [I am familiar with several others.]
- Makefile scripting
- CSS (limited)
Experience by Topic
- Fourier Transforms (FFTW, (D)FFTPACK5.1, MATLAB), though less so when it comes to signal analysis applications
- Finite difference methods (ordinary, combined-compact, uniform or nonuniform grids)
- Spectral transform and psuedospectral methods for solving partial differential equations
- General numerical analysis
- Plasma physics
- Solar physics
- OpenGL (very limited)
Member for 5 years
0 profile views
Last seen Mar 13 '18 at 23:21
- Academia 3.3k 3.3k 11 gold badge1515 silver badges3939 bronze badges
- Role-playing Games 1.1k 1.1k 55 silver badges2424 bronze badges
- Stack Overflow 936 936 22 gold badges77 silver badges2525 bronze badges
- Cross Validated 667 667 11 gold badge66 silver badges1212 bronze badges
- Arqade 654 654 77 silver badges1717 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 90 When should linear regression be called "machine learning"?
- 74 What's a good way to prevent students from saying I lost their paper?
- 65 What's a good way to prevent students from saying I lost their paper?
- 28 How to move from makeindex to xindy?
- 26 Should I hold the same writing standards for international students as I do for domestic students?
- 25 What does an absolute novice need to learn to make a successful emergency landing?
- 24 How to handle a possibly biased editor?
- View more network posts →