I noticed the other day that Server Fault has a blog. Obviously this is a bit of a unique case as the main SO blog is about the engine in general, but there is no reason we could not organize a Gaming.SE blog.
I would think that to be successful the topic of this blog would have to be about MORE than just the website. It'd have to be about gaming in general. Thus it would include related topics in:
- New Technologies in Gaming
- Upcoming Games (reviews)
- Professional Gaming
- Discussion of topics on the site
- Good Games others may have missed (recommendations)
- other Discussion Topics in Gaming (that would be beyond the scope of the site).
Ideally, some of the more prolific members of the community would participate (I image there are a number of people who would be interested in games Grace plays). To support this it is necessary to have some level of integration with the site. With the SE API we could support features such as:
- User Account access (either entries or comments)
- Linking to accounts and questions
- Posting if you have certain qualification
- Answers in a minimum number of tags
- A minimum number of answers
- Something rep related
Now, it is not necessary that we actually be affiliate with Gaming.SE in any real way, but I think that affiliation may strength this relationship. The blog would be designed as something to support the community and give forum to otherwise Off Topic questions and advice. Finally, the blog would solve the problem of "I know the answer to this cool question, but I don't want to be the person to ask and then answer it."
So obviously I can't run this blog by myself, I'm going to need to start recruiting from the gaming.se community. So consider this a call out for writers.