The multiplayer tag is not a good tag. Here are some previous resources for some "light" reading before we get started:
- Player Two Press Burninate? Should we keep the [Multiplayer] tag?
- The Great Arqade Clean-Up of 2012
- Should we add more specific tags for ME3 questions?
I'd rather this be discussed than closed as a duplicate - if it was a duplicate then the consensus from the previous questions would have carried enough weight for them to be actioned.
First things first: Is this a burnination? Picking up from the previous consensus the following was agreed:
- multiplayer - this tag is scheduled for burnination. However, there are a few special caveats:
- DO NOT remove this tag from any questions which are also tagged as mass-effect-3. There will be a request to rename multiplayer to mass-effect-3-multiplayer at the end of burnination.
- There are a number of other titles where a hyphenated multiplayer tag makes sense. Use your best judgement, and/or follow the example set by other editors to apply these where needed. For example, ac-revelation-multiplayer might make sense, though it's borderline. (CURSE YOU TAG LIMIT!)
From this it seems like the community agreed to burn the tag through a merge, after cleaning up all of the instances that used the tag.
Is this still how the community feels? Recently we've had the release of Grand Theft Auto 5, which has an associated game mode known as GTA Online. Thus, we have tags grand-theft-auto-5 and gta-online, however in many instances we end up with the multiplayer tag on there as well. This isn't the only instance of the problem either! A quick glace over multiplayer shows that it is in use in many other instances:
...and many others. Obviously viewing these, the previous consensus didn't stick.
What is the role of the multiplayer tag?
Are we keeping it?
If so, are we applying any specific use cases?
Are we burning it?