I have posted this question and it seems that a bunch of guys in the chat have decided that a game has to be publicly available to be able to ask questions about it.
Considering this is what the community really wants: When is a game publicly available?
- When the game is released.
- When a game is free to play and everybody can create an account.
It is not publicly available:
- When there is no playable version of the game.
- When there are a limited amount of Beta keys.
- When you cannot play the game even if you are willing to spend money.
But what about:
- Everybody with a preorder gets a Beta key?
This is currently the case for Starcraft 2 HOTS. Everybody can preorder on Amazon and get a free Beta key. I argue that this is publicly available, as everybody can just buy (preorder) a copy and play (the Beta). There is currently no limitation on the amount of Beta keys.
If the community decides otherwise we should have at least some official rules for this.