A couple months ago, David Fullerton posted a proposed new name for gaming.stackexchange.com: Game Council (see this post for details). Some members of the community supported the name, others were indifferent, and a few opposed it. We took these suggestions into consideration, and have gone through several rounds of brainstorming to try to come up with alternatives. Unfortunately, many of our ideas for new domain names are unavailable. Because of that, we decided to take a step back and develop a set of criteria for what a domain name should have. Here is what we came up with:
Criteria for a domain name
These are basically non-negotiable:
- It must be available (can be parked, blank, backordered, but can't have a website attached to it)
- It must be a .com (no .net, .co, etc., unless it's "really awesome" (but no .ly))
- It must not be associated with a trademark (for example, stagesix.com is not associated with a website, but stage6 is associated with DivX)
- It must not contain hyphens or other similar characters
These are things an ideal name would have, but are a bit more flexible:
- It should convey the idea of Q&A, advice, knowledge, or community
- It should suggest gaming, or something related to gaming (e.g. levels, playing, quests...)
- The Twitter handle should be available
- It should be memorable - ideally a strong visual brand can be created around it
We believe that Game Council (gamecouncil.com) basically fits all of these criteria. However, we want to give all of you one more chance to suggest names, with these criteria in mind. To do so, we are going to take a new approach: I created a chat room called Naming for Gaming that will be open until the end of next week (Friday 5/4). Between now and then, feel free to go into that chat room and suggest names.
Here are the rules for participating in this chat room and making suggestions:
- Please make sure that your suggestion fits the criteria above.
- In general, this chat room is not for discussion. You should only use the chat room to make suggestions. However, we will have 2 designated discussion times on Wednesday 5/2 at 3 pm and Thursday 5/3 at 3 pm (EST). If you want to have a lengthier discussion about this process, a certain name, or anything else, feel free to pop into the chat room at either of those times.
- If you like a certain suggestion, star it to ensure that it gets our attention.
- While we will take your suggestions into consideration (and maybe even use one of them!), the final decision is up to Stack Exchange. If someone suggestions a name that fits all of the criteria, we may use it. If not, we will go with Game Council.
- By making a suggestion, you agree that we are free to use it. You won't be compensated for the suggestions you make, regardless of whether we choose to use it.
For your reference, we have gone through a round of suggestions from the community before. You can see the post here. Unfortunately, although some of the suggestions were great, none of the ones that fit the criteria above were available.
This is an exciting time for Gaming.SE. The site has grown so much in the past few months and the community is so engaged, that the next step is to start promoting the site to new audiences. To do that, we need a strong brand to work with. Hopefully after this next week, we will have it!