That green star next to my name is annoying, yet I haven't seen a link where I can upload my own avatar. I see other people with custom images, and I am hoping some-one can give me step-by-step instructions how to put mine up.
Adapted from "How do I change my profile picture, or avatar?"
Your picture/avatar is tied to the Gravatar — for "globally recognized avatar" — linked to your e-mail address.
How do I change my profile picture, or avatar?
- Go to Gravatar.com
- Create a profile and upload a picture.
- Add that e-mail address to your Stack Exchange profile.
- Wait a few hours for it to propagate.
- You might need to clear your cache to have the new image requested.
How can I use different avatars on different SE sites?
- Associate your Stack Exchange profiles.
- Change your e-mail address on the sites for which you want a different avatar.
- Follow the steps in How do I change my profile picture, or avatar? (above) for the new address.
How do the SE sites know when I changed my Gravatar?
The SE sites directly link to these Gravatar images from gravatar.com, so that when it is updated on Gravatar, it will be updated immediately on the SE sites as well. You may need to clear your cache to see the changes, though.
According to Gravatar, your email address is hashed and used in your avatar's URL. For example, in the URL
http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/6b40908a8b13c9c7eecfcb95960cc0f6?s=128&d=identicon&r=PG, the portion
6b40908a8b13c9c7eecfcb95960cc0f6is your email's md5 hash, provided you have an email address associated with your account.