The topic of upcoming game releases has been discussed before and community opinion seems to favor "don't allow such questions". However, this doesn't seem to have made its way to a FAQ response or any official documented policy, so I'd like to touch upon this again and bring in questions about game confirmations.
A user asked recently whether development of a game had been confirmed. My gut reaction was to flag the post for a few reasons:
- The answer doesn't really aid the community.
- The answer is not one that can be accepted as static in the general sense.
- If the game has not been confirmed, it might be confirmed in the future (thus changing the accepted answer).
- If the game has been confirmed, it's likely not something that would need to be verified by a Q&A site.
I tend to view the release date questions in the same way:
- If the date is unknown, it may be known in the future (thus changing the accepted answer).
- If the date is known, it could change.
- If the game has been released, the point is moot.
In my desire to flag these questions and see them closed, am I enforcing an agreed-upon community policy, or is this one of those topics that are "up for grabs/a matter of opinion/something we're likely to enforce inconsistently and confuse new users about"?