Its a thought that I've had for a little while.
The SE Chatroom seems to have built up quite a technological debt like links not unfurling or a mobile app. And it does make sense. The chatrooms of SE date of probably a good 10 years back, when Chatrooms were quite a hassle to create and moderate (we are talking about IRC days)
But now, there is a good alternative: Discord. And we already got one running
So here is the thought: Is it time to phase out the SE Chatroom and change to an external chatroom?
From what I see:
- Discord comes with a Mobile app
- I do think that people would have less of a mental block to join a discord than join a random chatroom
- No clue if SE will be ok with the idea
- Some functionality, like Questions unfurling and starring would be lost.
- I do not know the moderating tools we currently have on the current SE Chatroom, but I would think that the control might be lesser in something external.
So, what do you guys think?