Something that I brought up on the community check in post was reaching out to Stack Exchange sites that share similar ball-parks to us, and doing some promotion to increase cross-site involvement. To get the ball rolling on that, why don’t we design some community ads!
Community Promotion Ads are community-vetted advertisements that will show up on the main site, in the right sidebar. They are updated yearly, you can check out the ads that are running on Arqade (and have run in previous years) by viewing the questions tagged with the community-ads tag.
So where are Arqade’s community ads on other sites?
Well, we don’t have any... I’m pretty sure we used to, but they’re more than likely woefully out of date. And with 2020 starting a fresh new decade, it’s high time to see some new designs!
What are the rules?
Design an ad that promotes Arqade to other Stack Exchange communities, and post it as an answer here. It can either be completely generic, or specifically targeted to one or multiple communities. (I’ve linked some examples below showcasing both).
Here are the image requirements, taken from the 2019 Community Promotion Ads post:
- The image that you create must be 300 x 250 pixels, or double that if high DPI.
- Must be hosted through our standard image uploader (imgur)
- Must be GIF or PNG
- No animated GIFs
- Absolute limit on file size of 150 KB
- If the background of the image is white or partially white, there must be a 1px border (2px if high DPI) surrounding it.
Here's an image placeholder at the 600x500 pixel size
Which sites should we target?
Any site that may fit into the broad buckets of computing, gaming, media, entertainment or lifestyle would be the best bet, but if you have a cool idea, any site is on the table!
How long will the contest run?
To give everyone a fair chance to enter, especially considering the holiday season, the contest will run from 16th Dec, 2019 to 31st Jan, 2020. We will then have a one-week grace period to allow late entries to accrue votes.
‘Tis the season, so I’m willing to front up 800 reputation points in bounties*: 500 for the highest voted design, 200 and 100 for second and third place respectively. Similar to the screenshot competitions - only upvotes will be counted. (In the case of ties I’ll try and split the rewards evenly).
Even if you don’t win - your design may end up being used to promote Arqade, which is still pretty cool.
Looking for inspiration?
- Worldbuilding has this cool design running on Sci-Fi, and this other cool design on RPG.SE
- Here's an ad for Movies & TV (currently live on Arqade),
- Here's an M&TV one specifically targeted at the Sci Fi & Fantasy audience
- And in reverse, Here’s an SFF one on the M&TV site
* Given the limitations surrounding rep transfer, bounties will be raised as ‘Reward Existing Answer’ on your highest-voted answer on the main site, and awarded once the 24 hour bounty lock expires.