so this is a list of true statements:
- I have stopped hanging around on the main site
- I have stopped hanging around chat
- I have actually enjoyed from increased personal time in the last couple of months
- I have decided to spend the vast majority of it hanging out with local friends here in Amsterdam
- I received a friendly email warning me that this was cool but mods kinda need to be active and I was going to lose my diamond if I didn't do something about it
- I am okay with this
As I reread this, it's kinda shocking how self centered this post is, but that's kind of the point, isn't it?
So this is a post that, had I been honest with myself, I would have penned some three years ago. But I haven't been honest with myself, or you, and you deserve better.
The inflection point was definitely the moment when the mobile SO app stopped doing push notifications for meta questions. That stopped this community from being at the top of my mind, and allowed other things to fill up the void. These new things are not better or worse than my mod activity; they're just different, in a way I welcome.
I didn't coordinate with Ash, so I suppose this is an unexpectedly poignant time to say thank you for all of the fish, the stars, the mod abuse; thank you to those who helped me become a kinder person, those who merely tolerated me, and those who will be glad I'm "gone," and those who I'm not so glad they're "gone."