A while back I asked the question: How can I stop getting notifications when my friends start games?
Given the net score of -2 (+2/-4) I don't think this comes down to Tim losing his keys.
What Arqade says to downvote
Hovering over the down-vote button says:
This question does not show any research effort; it is unclear or not useful.
The vote down privilege page says the following about when to use down-votes:
Voting down, also known as "casting downvotes", is how the community indicates which questions and answers are least useful.
Use your downvotes whenever you encounter an egregiously sloppy, no-effort-expended post, or an answer that is clearly and perhaps dangerously incorrect.
What are the alternatives to down-voting?
The up-vote privilege comes first because that's what you should focus on: pushing great content to the top. Down-voting should be reserved for extreme cases. It's not meant as a substitute for communication and editing.
Instead of voting down:
One thing I want to be clear about, though, is that duplication is not necessarily bad. Quite the contrary — some duplication is desirable. There’s often benefit to having multiple subtle variants of a question around, as people tend to ask and search using completely different words, and the better our coverage, the better odds people can find the answer they’re looking for. And isn’t that, really, the whole point of this exercise?
Why I don't think my post doesn't fit any of these requirements
And so given my understanding of SE rules in general, and the relevant Arqade rules. I don't understand why I deserve any down votes:
- I don't think the question is "not useful" or "least useful".
Given that the duplicate has a question score of 2, and an answer score of 6, Showing it's useful. Also my post now has 758 views and so has come back on a fair amount of searches.
- I don't think the question is "unclear" or "egregiously sloppy".
I may however be wrong about this.
- I don't think the question "does not show any research effort" or "no-effort-expended post".
I spent a while looking for existing answers. I even linked to a question that is asking roughly the same thing, but is outdated and doesn't work.
- I don't see how my post is an "extreme cases".
- As far as I understand the help-center says not to downvote the question, but instead 'flag for moderator intervention'. (This is the 125 rep version of VTC)
- According to Jeff Atwood, my question may be desirable as it has 758 views, where the duplicate target only has 305.
Why does my question deserve these down votes? Have I missed some rules or misinterpreted them?