This happens all too often.
- Someone asks a question that's mostly clear
- Another users posts a comment, but inadvertently (or intentionally) answers the question
- No one actually posted an answer, but the question was ultimately answered
This frequently happens, even with veterans to the site. What is the best way to handle these questions as I encounter them?
- Do I go ahead and post an answer that is near-identical to the comment? I have mixed feelings between "I don't want to get rep that should have been yours" and "You should know better than to answer questions via comments".
- Do I add another comment, requesting the commenter to post it as an answer? I have mixed feelings between "I'm being polite to make sure you get your deserved rep" and "Why bother hounding the commenter when I can just as easily post the answer myself".
Is there a concept of "common courtesy" when it comes to answering questions, or does the community follow "you post your answer, I post mine, let the best answer win"?