There was a previous meta request to Rename [skyrim] → [elder-scrolls-skyrim], but that was rejected because of two concerns:
- The 25 character tag limit would mean some games in the series would be too long.
- Search engine optimization may be compromised
I think that it's time to revisit these concerns.
Character tag limit
The first concern is no longer relevant, since we have a 35 character tag limit, which is long enough for all games in the series (except The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard, but we don't currently have any questions about that).
Search engine optimization
I'm not sure that SEO is as big of a concern if we use the full game names. Right now, searching for
skyrim has about the same level of traffic as searching for
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Furthermore, I get pretty much the same results in Google if I search for either term, suggesting there is some sort of synonymization going on.
Consistency of Tags
Of course, one of the big benefits of renaming these will be that we will have consistent tags for all the games in the series. Anyone unfamiliar with the series knows that they are all related because they all start with
Therefore, I propose that we have all The Elder Scrolls games be tagged as follows:
- the-elder-scrolls → the-elder-scrolls-series (to be consistent with how other series tags work]
- the-elder-scrolls-arena (already exists)
- daggerfall → the-elder-scrolls-2-daggerfall
- morrowind → the-elder-scrolls-3-morrowind
- oblivion → the-elder-scrolls-4-oblivion
- skyrim → the-elder-scrolls-5-skyrim
- the-elder-scrolls-legends (already exists)
- the-elder-scrolls-online (already exists)
* Unlike the Morrowind and Oblivion expansions, the official name for these addons include both the number and the name "Skyrim", but adding both to the tag name exceeds the 35 character tag limit.
While we're at it, there are two tags for total conversion mods that probably should be renamed to their proper names, since they aren't "official" Skyrim addons.
- Enderal: The Shards of Order skyrim-enderal → enderal-the-shards-of-order
- Falskaar skyrim-falskaar → falskaar
Of course, the old tags would remain as synonyms, but I think that the existing tag synonym elder-scrolls-skyrim would be unnecessary.
Request for feedback
Would it be okay to make these changes? Are there any concerns over something like this?